Monday, March 3, 2014

The girl at the Cafe

She was sitting with her legs crossed, wearing a white frock that touched her knees. Her round hat, with a tiny bow at the side, perfectly complemented the dress. Her eyes were immersed in a book, and she was sipping a cold coffee in the hot afternoon.

He had been looking at her for quite some time now. He wanted to go and talk to her, but his past 16 attempts to talk to a girl hadn't been quite successful. 

<May be 17th would be a charm.> He got up and walked up to her.

"Can I take this seat please?", he asked.

She looked around, making it obvious that there were so many empty tables in the cafe. <Why does he want to sit near me? He isn't even hot. Or sexy for that matter. For god's sake, she could see a bulge around his tummy.>

He observed her glance around the not-so-filled cafe. <It is not going to work this way. Let me try to be firm.>

"Oh! I thought I would just disturb you". He smiled weakly and pulled out the empty chair to sit.

She looked at him with some restraint. <Oooh. Confidence? Or pretending confidence? She was never the best judge at reading people.>

"Well, I noticed that you are reading a book."

She glanced at the book in her hand and again shot an irritated look at him. <Wow! What an observation! Son of Sherlock I guess?>

"Umm.. I mean..You know.. Its my favourite book.".

<Why dont you tell me the suspense, and save me the trouble of reading the book?>

"I read it when I was eight years old."

<What?! He has been reading since he was eight? :O :O>

He caught the slight movement in which her eyeballs had enlarged, and then contracted back. <There, just there!>

"Ya, I've been quite into studies in my life. I topped straight through all my grades at school, AND through all my university courses. I had read all the books in my library, in fact the principal had to order more books for me." He ended it with a wide grin.

It turned to an apologetic one as soon as he saw her.

She was glaring at him like never before. <He is a nerd. I've heard nerds are not so good at asking a girl out. But seriously, is he worth giving a chance? >

He thought it was time to wrap it up. He started getting up. 

<May be one more chance.>

She snapped her fingers. He looked at her. Her eyes signaled him towards the chair. He quietly sat down again.

Then he noticed her earphones; followed them to find an iPod hidden by the view of the book. Instinctively, he went for it. 

"Oh my! I love music too."

As he scrolled down the song list, there was a slight pang of disappointment. 

"Oh, I primarily like the Kumar kishore and Rafi's songs. And these are all, new hip hop generation. I dont know whats wrong with this generation and their lyrics!"

He raised his head to see her reaction, and saw the angry face again. She was about to burst out. 

<How could he take the iPod without any permission?>

Slowly, and carefully, he placed the iPod back in its position, as it was, hidden by the view of the book. 

<So now he is trying to be all cute, eh? Well, I have to admit it, he is kinda cute! >

"So, do you talk ...?"

He was suddenly interrupted by a loud voice. 

"Hey girl! I am all set!", her friend said, as she tapped her shoulder, "Oh! You have my iPod? I was looking for it all over!!"

He was overjoyed. <That's her friends iPod!! May be, just may be, we share the same taste in music too?> 


It was her friend's turn to look at him.

"Oh! I am sorry, I dont want to be rude or anyething, but she is on a permanent mute, I mean, she cant speak! Hope she didn't cause you any trouble!" 

He was dumbstruck. He didn't know what to make of it. 

As they left the table, she twisted towards him, gave him a short smile and a wink. Then, her eyes pointed to something on table. 

There was a napkin. With her number on it. 

"I can't speak, but I sure can text. Message me? :)"

His heart skipped a beat. 

17th time was indeed a charm.  


No comments:

Post a Comment